Dec. 10, 2012
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Richmond’s Becca Wann and VCU’s Jessica Pellechio have been named the Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced on Monday. The duo was recognized for games played during the week of Dec. 3-9.
Wann came off the bench and averaged 17.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 7.0 assists to pace Richmond to a pair of wins over Virginia Tech (65-51) and UNC Greensboro (104-69). Wann scored 15 points against the Hokies, shooting 50 percent (6-12) from the floor, while adding nine rebounds, five assists and three steals. The Chesterfield, Va., native followed with a perfect performance at UNCG, registering 19 points on 100 percent (9-9) shooting with five rebounds and nine assists. Wann’s nine assists against the Spartans was a career-high and the most by a Spiders since 2009.
Pellechio, the nation’s leader in 3-point field goals, averaged a team-best 16.5 points to go along with 4.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 2.5 steals per game last week for VCU. The Annadale, N.J., native scored a game-high 20 points in the Rams’ 70-41 win over UMBC, before adding 13 points, a career-high tying six rebounds, two assists and four steals at Coppin State. Pellechio hit three straight 3-pointers to fuel a big second half run against the Eagles. Her 14.6 points per game average is tied for seventh among league leaders and tops all A-10 freshman. She is the only rookie to rank among the Conference’s top 20 scorers.
A-10 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL HONOR ROLL
- Butler’s Daress McClung averaged 15.0 points and 12.5 rebounds last week, including 21 points, 12 rebounds in win over Indiana.
- Charlotte’s Ny Hammonds the national leader in assists per game, averaged 12.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 8.0 assists in the Niners three games last week.
- Dayton’s Cassie Sant scored a career-high 19 points and tied her career high with four assists in No. 19/18 Dayton’s 60-53 win over Michigan State Saturday at UD Arena.
- Duquesne’s Wumi Agunbiade recorded her fourth double-double of the season with a season-high 22 points and 11 rebounds versus St. Francis (PA) and added 15 points and seven rebounds against Pittsburgh.
- Fordham’s Samantha Clark averaged 11.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in the Rams’ two games last week, while shooting 45 percent (9-20) from the floor.
- Massachusetts freshman guard Rashida Timbilla produced 11.5 points and 7.5 rebounds over a pair of contests at Boston University and Ole Miss, which included her third career double-double with 13 points and 11 boards against the Terriers.
- Rhode Island’s Samantha Tabakman averaged 13.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in a 1-1 week for the Rams, including a game- and career-high 23 points in the Rams’ victory over Maine.
- Chatilla van Grinsven of Saint Joseph’s averaged a double-double on the week, recording 21.5 points and 11 rebounds per game as SJU went 1-1 on the week.
- Lorreal Jones of Saint Louis averaged 12.7 points and 8.0 rebounds in the Billikens three games week. - Temple’s Victoria Macaulay notched her fifth double-double of the season with a game-high 25 points (12-18) along with a game-high 13 rebounds in a loss at Kent State.
- Xavier senior Jessica Pachko led the team with 10 points to go with four rebounds and two steals in Xavier’s only game of the week, a 63-48 loss at Middle Tennessee on Thursday. Pachko was 5-of-6 from the field as the team shot 50.0 percent (20-40) for the game.