Dec. 24, 2012
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – George Washington’s Danni Jackson and Rhode Island’s Tayra Melendez were honored as the Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced on Monday. The duo was recognized for games played during the week of Dec. 17-23.
Jackson scored a season-high 21 points on 9-of-15 (.600) shooting and added seven assists and five rebounds to lead George Washington to a 60-52 win over local rival George Mason in its lone game last week. She twice scored six straight points in the first half, including during the Colonials’ 12-2 opening run, and she also scored the final five points of the game to seal the victory.
Melendez scored a game- and career-high 19 points in Rhode Island’s only game last week at Providence (12/22). The Mattapan, Mass., native, was 3-for-3 from long range while also adding six rebounds and two blocked shots. She finished the outing shooting 41 percent (7-17) from the floor.
A-10 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL HONOR ROLL
- Dayton sophomore Ally Malott scored 19 points, one off of her career-high of 20 points set twice already this season, in Dayton’s 91-53 win over Siena.
- Chatilla van Grinsven of Saint Joseph’s was named to the Gator Holiday Classic All-Tournament Team after averaging 19 points and 8.0 rebounds per game.
- Lorreal Jones of Saint Louis averaged 15 points and 7.5 rebounds while shooting 55 percent from the field in two games last week.
- Temple’s Victoria Macaulay scored a game-high 17-points at Villanova, hitting 7-of-11 from the field and 3-of-4 at the line, while also pulling down seven boards.
- Xavier senior Amber Gray averaged 12 points and 4.5 rebounds per game during the week. She shot at a .429 clip from the field and was nearly perfect from the line, sinking six of seven from the charity stripe (.857).