Dec. 28, 2012
A-10 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK | STATISTICS | STANDINGS
WHAT’S ON TAP FOR FRIDAY (12/28)
Fairfield at Saint Joseph’s | 2:00PM
(Hawk Classic | Philadelphia, PA)
Xavier vs. Northern Illinois | 4:30PM
(Virginia Tournament | Charlottesville, VA)
Siena at Massachusetts 7:00PM
Richmond at College of Charleston | 7:00PM
George Washington at #8/8 California | 10:00PM
- With its victory over Siena (12/22), Dayton improves to 12-0 on the season, tying its best start in program history (UD also started the 1983-84 season 12-0).
- The University of Dayton women’s basketball team continues to break program records. The Flyers moved up one spot in both the Associated Press and USA Today Coaches Top 25 Polls, coming in at No. 15 and No. 14, respectively. Both rankings are the highest in UD women’s hoops history.
- Duquesne received 19 votes in the AP Top 25 Poll and entered this week’s USA Today Coaches Poll with six votes.
- George Washington’s Danni Jackson and Rhode Island’s Tayra Melendez were honored as the Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced on Monday. The duo was recognized for games played during the week of Dec. 17-23.
- Saint Joseph's women's basketball team hosts the 21st Annual Hawk Classic this weekend as the Hawks welcome Fairfield, UMBC and Wagner to Hagan Arena. The Hawks will face Fairfield at 2 p.m. today, while UMBC and Wagner open the tournament at noon.
- The Xavier women's basketball team has returned from some time at home with family for the Christmas holiday and is heading to Charlottesville, Va., to participate in the 2012 Holiday Inn Cavalier Classic this weekend. The Musketeers are set to face Northern Illinois this afternoon at 4:30 at Virginia's Jones Arena. On Saturday, XU will face either Norfolk State or the host Cavaliers.
- Richmond plays in its first post-holiday game against College of Charleston tonight at 7 p.m.
- The George Washington women's basketball team heads west following a six-day layoff for the holidays to take on No. 8 California this evening. Tip-off from the Golden Bears' Haas Pavilion is set for 10 p.m. ET.
THURSDAY’S (12/27) RESULTS
#24 Ohio State 88, VCU 50
No. 24 Ohio State extended its school record home winning streak to 30 games, the longest active streak in the Big Ten and third longest in the nation, with an 88-50 victory over VCU Thursday night. Junior Robyn Parks and freshman Janniina Koivunen led the Rams with 13 points apiece, while freshmanKaneisha Atwater chipped in 11 off the bench.