Dec. 31, 2012
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Charlotte’s Jennifer Hailey and Duquesne’s April Robinson were named the Atlantic 10 Conference Women ‘s Basketball Player and Rookie of the Week, respectively, the league office announced on Monday. Hailey and Robinson were recognized for games played during the week of Dec. 24-30.
Hailey earned all-tournament honors at the Georgia State Holiday & Hoops Tournament in Atlanta after back-to-back strong performances in leading the 49ers to a 1-1 record in the event. She started the weekend with 26 points, one shy of her career high, against Toledo, draining 10-of-18 field goals and 6-of-10 free throws. During a 12-minute span in the second half, she was the only Niner to score, racking up 13-straight points. Hailey also added nine rebounds, finishing just shy of a double-double. The Marshville, N.C., native closed out the tournament with her eighth double-double of the season against Mississippi Valley State (16 points, 10 rebounds). Through the course of the weekend, Hailey extended her consecutive games streak with at least one blocked shot to 24, while averaging 21 points (15-31, .484) and eight rebounds.
Robinson averaged 11.0 points and 3.5 rebounds as Duquesne posted an even 1-1 record at the Dartmouth Blue Sky Classic. The Springfield, Va., native opened the event with 10 points, including a perfect performance (2-2) at the line with six rebounds and four steals against the host Big Green. She then contributed 11 points in her career-high 25 minutes against Delaware, to go along with a rebound and assist. Robinson has now notched double-digits in seven outings for the Dukes this season.
A-10 WOMEN’S BASKETBALL HONOR ROLL
- Dayton’s Kelley Austria stepped up with eight points at Bowling Green in UD’s first loss this season.
- Fordham’s Erin Rooney put up a pair of outstanding performances this week at the Fordham Holiday Classic, averaging 11.5 points and 8.5 rebounds in the Rams’ two games.
- La Salle’s Ebonee Jones
tied for game high scoring (16 pts) with teammate Brittany Wilson, leading the Explorers to their third straight victory on Saturday, a 72-55 decision over Saint Peter’s.
- Massachusetts freshman guard Rashida Timbilla earned her fourth career double-double with
11 points and 12 rebounds, including seven on the offensive glass, against Siena, while adding a game-high four assists vs. the Saints while chipping in three steals and a block.
- Rhode Island’s Tayra Melendez scored a team-high 12 points at NJIT, while adding five rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- St. Bonaventure’s CeCe Dixon led all scorers with 23 points on 6-13 shooting, 4-8 from three-point range in 70-66 loss to N.C. State on Sunday.
- Jacy Bradley of Saint Louis Led the team in scoring (18), rebounding (8), assists (5) and steals (2) against Northern Iowa.
- Senior center Victoria Macaulay notched her sixth double-double of the season in Temple's only game of the week, a 57-47 loss at Michigan State, scoring a team-high 12 points along with grabbing a team-high 10 rebounds.
- Xavier’s Shatyra Hawkes averaged 14.0 points, 5.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds for the Musketeers in back-to-back games against Northern Illinois and Virginia at the Cavalier Classic.